Lessons available on uilleann pipes, whistle, low whistle and bodhrán.
Classes take place at my house or online using Skype.
What you'll get:
- One hour one-on-one lesson taught via webcam. The screen can be maximized to fill your monitor without any deterioration of quality or connection.
- A private video posted to YouTube of the tune we worked on played slow and then up to speed.
- Eternal peace, harmony and satisfaction in every facet of your being... not to mention the triplets, crans and tunes :)
What you'll need:
- A set of pipes, a whislte or a bodhrán, depending on the lesson you wish to take.
- Access to a webcam and microphone. These come with most newer machines and if not you can get a pretty good webcam for around $20 which will very likely include a microphone.
- A broadband internet connection.
- Skype software installed. The free downlaod is available here. Once there, click the green banner where it says "Download Now".
- One hour private lesson for $45.
- Four or more prescheduled lessons get 10% discount.
If you would like to save the video for future reference there are a number of app's that will do this for you. One for MAC that might be worth a try and with a free 7 day trial version is www.ecamm.com/mac/callrecorder
For PC recording Skype recommend: www.evaer.com
Mike de Smidt, Santa Cruz, CA, USA: I had one of Pat's skype lessons after a long drought of not being able to play the pipes. We spent the whole hour working on one tune, with all the technique one could throw into it. Not only is it a great opportunity to work on old technique, but to learn all sorts of new stuff that you can do with both the music as well as what the chanter is capable of doing musically. All in all an incredibly profitable experience. Thanks Patrick!
Joe Lynn, Downingtown, PA, USA: Thanks for the lesson on Skype. From 3000 miles away, it was almost like being in the same room. I really enjoyed it.
Ken Matley, NY, USA: For someone who started playing the Uilleann pipes in relative isolation, gave up after a few years, and started again decades later, Patrick's lessons are a godsend. It is so much easier to know where you are coming from and where you are going when you have an expert listening and watching. I started with in-person lessons and changed to Skype lessons when I moved away from SoCal.
Patrick is knowledgable, supportive, and full of encouragement. He bases his lessons on where the student is at that particular time, adding or subtracting complexity as needed. His instruction in technique and suggestions about style are invaluable and I enthusiastically recommend him to anyone who wishes to learn the pipes or improve their playing.
Patrick Maun, St. Paul, MN, USA: Nothing can replace the knowledge you get with one-on-one tuition. Unfortunately, not everyone has easy access to a great teacher like Patrick D'Arcy. Thankfully, technology is allowing those struggling on their own to finally experience this invaluable and traditional method of learning the uilleann pipes. Patrick is a great teacher and my piping has improved exponentially since starting lessons with him.
Dan McHugh, Delaware, DE, USA: The instruction is just as useful as if Mr. D'Arcy was right in my own living room. I will definitely do this again.
Mark Olson, Nebraska, IN, USA: Thanks Pat, great lesson!